Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Coffee Swap question #4

Let's pretend for a minute we all live in the home of our dreams, have land, and don't have to work so time is unlimited! It's Spring planting season! What would you grow? A little veggie garden? A bed of bright spring blooms? Or is your thumb so far from green that the only thing you'd be planting is your tushy into a nice chair on the porch to get some knitting or crocheting done in the nice breeze?

I dream about this situation daily. How I would love to spend more time with my kids chasing butterflies and bunnies and digging in the dirt. I would plant herbs, especially thyme, basil, mint, and parsley. I would plant green onions and potatoes, kale and more kale and more kale, red peppers and cucumbers, zucchini and tomatoes and broccoli. I would set up a "Maya" garden with corn, beans climbing up the corn stalks, and squash plants covering the ground. I would plant lemon, pear and apple trees, plums and loquats and apricots, peaches, oranges and grapefruit. There is a lovely grapefruit in the apartment complex where I live, and the blossoms are so fragrant right now. Finally, I would surround the space with jasmine, morning glories, poppies and nastursiums. AND, I'd like a few sheep, goats and chickens too. One day, insha'Allah...

No comments: